I should be in Haiti, letting you know of the work progress and enjoying the warmth of the sun. However, Dr. William called me Friday morning and said that the hospital he is training in, the largest government hospital in Port au Prince, was shutting down all operations possible and sending people home for their safety as demonstrations scheduled for Sunday were started early. After checking with several other colleagues, both Haitians and Expats, Duane and I reluctantly decided it would not be prudent to risk it and we cancelled. Admittedly I have been fighting a fever and have started my third IV antibiotic since Karen passed away, as well as an oral one and still feeling under the weather, but didn’t want to disappoint my brothers and sisters there.
One of our reliable contacts are our fellow missionaries and dear friends, Johannes and Luise, but they were about an hour up the road from the hospital towards Port, usually things have calmed down considerably once we get a couple hours out towards the hospital, so well within the “calm zone.” We could not contact them due to them being away from the internet, etc. They contacted us yesterday morning and said it was God’s Wisdom that we did not go, as they had 3 roadblocks on the way back home for that hour run, two of which they got through but the third pelted them with stones. Their vehicle is clearly marked as MEBSH so they didn’t respect that and would likely not have respected them. They had to back up and take the two track roads back home (almost everyone has 4 wheel drives, a necessity there). Rod had similar problems getting home from the Sunday School/Feeding Program and Johannes and Luise said that no one was even able to come to be seen at the hospital (and thus would not be able to come for surgery) due to the violence. So, once again, the country is struggling with no clear resolution in sight as it is a longstanding, complex situation that brought this on and who all is/are the real culprit(s) is very unclear.
Since I was staying home, the sore lump on my belly wall that I have had for 3 years, since Dr. Dan De Cook drained my fistula, had been growing more tender. I blamed it on lifting boxes in our attempt to move out of our house into James and Jenn’s basement, not that the family would let me do much, they consider me a first class wimp, I fear. But, I figured to contact Dan as I had a light schedule and he graciously saw me on Monday, did an ultrasound and drained a bunch of smelly pus, cancer cells and who knows what else out. So, I have another pipe sticking out of my belly which doesn’t always give the best of odors, he will see me in a week and decide if he needs to take me to the OR and clean things up more extensively, which I am fearful he will likely do.
So, would appreciate prayer for wisdom and strength for the above situations, both for Haiti and my personal health. Also, I want to thank all of you once again for all your prayers, notes of encouragement and just many offers to help in any way in this difficult time in our lives.
In His Service,
Bill and Duane (and Rachel, James and Jenn)